This post features material by Syeda Islam, Helen Garforth and Sandra Munoz
Residents young and old came to York Gardens Library on Thursday, June 14 to share their thoughts on how best to make a positive difference to their neighbourhood. More than 400 people contributed to this energetic and well-organised community consultation on how to spend a Big Lottery Fund grant of £1,000,000 over the next 10 years.
Local children take part in the consultation
The guests, in bright sunshine, were greeted by the Falconbrook School Steel band and the Sacred Heart Choir, in the lovely gardens in front of the library.
The place was buzzing with various stalls and activities brought by local organisations – in the Library and also at Providence House, the Adventure Playground, and Pennethorne Square. A smoothie bike was available for all to “exercise” their way to a healthy drink.
A family fun day tomorrow (June 14) will give you the chance to say what sort of community you want to live in.
Big Local is an exciting opportunity to use at least £1 million of Lottery money to make a massive and lasting positive difference to our community in west Battersea. How the money is spent will be decided by local people, not politicians – this excellent video explains more:
You are invited to find out more and share your ideas:
14th June – Please come along any time from 3pm to 8pm
York Gardens Library Continue reading
The crime scene, Fowler Close
A young man was shot and wounded in York Gardens on the Winstanley Estate on Thursday at around 2.15pm. Information from the council says the victim is in a stable condition – his injuries are not believed to be life threatening (although the Wandsworth Guardian reports he is “in critical condition”). Other information:
- Trident has taken on the investigation and enquiries are ongoing to trace and arrest the suspect(s)
- Police will be undertaking re-assurance patrols throughout the weekend
- Weapon sweeps will be undertaken in the local area
- Much of the area – including York Gardens Library was taped off as part of the crime scene all afternoon
- Police are looking for two suspects who were seen on a black motorcycle prior to the shooting. Witnesses saw the motorcycle made off along Plough Road, turning left into York Road.
- Anyone with information or witnesses are asked to call the incident room on 0208 785 8589 or anonymously on Crimestoppers 0800 555 111. Continue reading